Step 4 – Configure WordPress Settings
Log into WordPress by typing in the following URL in the web address pane: Login URL: http://smallbizdemo.com/wp-admin and then entering our username and password, then clicking the “Login” button. After pressing the “Login” button, you will be taken to the “WordPress Dashboard”.
The dashboard is composed of the left sidebar and several modules. Here is a quick run-down of the primary modules:
To learn more about the WordPress sidebar and WP modules refer to my WordPress admin article and video.
For now we need to make a few changes to WordPress. To do this we need to go into the WordPress settings module. Within the settings module there are 6 sub menus, they are as follows:
Setting Changes to WordPress Settings
- General – Change Site Title, Tag Line and Time Zone
- Writing – None
- Reading – Change Front page Displays (optional) and Blog pages show at most from 10 to 3
- Discussion – Change “Before a comment appears”, select the box.
- Media – None
- Permalinks – Change common settings to “Post Name”
Note: Remember to save any changes by clicking the “Save Changes” button.
Install WordPress Plugins
Plugins are add-on programs that can be installed in WordPress, that will give your site more functionality. Checkout WordPress Help Page for a more detailed explanation of WordPress plugins:
We are going to add, install and configure the following WordPress plugins:
- Askimet – Helps prevent comments by spammers
- Contact Form 7 – Allows your site to easily create contact forms for customer feedback
- WPtouch Mobile Plugin – Will optimize your website for mobile phones. Note: This plugin is not needed for this theme since it is responsive, but you would need it if you switched to a none responsive theme.
- BackUpWordPress – Will backup your entire website including your database and all your files automatically.
<< Back: Step #3 – Install WordPress >>
<< Next: Step #5 – Design Website (Choose a Custom Theme) >>