How to Create a Category in WordPress
Categories within WordPress let you to arrange your posts by subject. This makes your content much easier to find.
To add a new category:
- Click on the “Post” menu on the left WP Admin Side bar
- Select “Categories” from the sub-menu
- Type in a name you want for the category
- Type in the slug name for the category. This is generally a shortened URL-friendly version of the category name. It is usually all lowercase and contains only letters, numbers, and hyphens.
- WordPress allows you to further categorize by making sub-categories. So, you can select a parent category if the new category you are creating is going to be a sub-category of an existing parent category. The default should be “None”.
- You can give the category a short description if you choose. just type it in the “Description” field, it’s optional.
- Then all you need to do is click on the “Add New Category” button.
You should now be able to see the newly created category on the right along with any other categories that were created.
More WordPress Training Videos:
What is WordPress (an overview)
How to Get Around the WordPress Dashboard
How to Create and Publish a WordPress Post
How to Add Images to WordPress
How to Add a Link to a Post in WordPress
How to Manage Comments in WordPress
How to Add Category in WordPress
How to Create a Page in WordPress
How to Create and Add a Custom Menu in WordPress
How to Install a WordPress Theme
How to Install a WordPress Plugin
How to Customize a WordPress Theme
How to Setup a Static Front Page in WordPress
Which WordPress Plugins Should I Install
How to Configure WordPress Settings