Introduction: YouTube Then and Now
I wonder if back in 2005 if those three PayPal employees had any idea that the video site they were creating would some day become what it has. That site I am talking about is the video sharing site known as YouTube and it has become quite the phenomenon. At the time I am writing this article, YouTube boasts over one billion users and around 4 million video views daily (YouTube by the Numbers).
YouTube Videos and Small Businesses
Currently, less than 10% of small business are using YouTube. If you are not part of that 10 percent, then you are missing out on a tremendous opportunity to show case your business/brand and attract a lot of new customers. Hey business owners… A fantastic way to better connect with potential business customers or your readers if you have a personal blog, is through the use of videos. Using videos on your site is often overlooked because people think that it’s difficult to do.
Creating a YouTube Account
This video that you’re about to watch, will show you one of the easiest ways to add videos to your website in a few easy steps using YouTube. With YouTube, you can add videos to your site by simply adding a couple of lines of HTML code, known as an iFrame script. This small script can be added to your web page and gives you the ability to show the video. The actual process is called embedding the video.
Things you need to have before starting:
- Internet Access, because video files can sometimes be fairly large, the faster your Internet connection the better.
- A Google account first. The first thing you will need to do, is to create a Google and YouTube account. This will be a two step process.
- A video to upload that you have created. Here are the current supported YouTube file formats: .MOV, .MPEG4, MP4, .AVI, .WMV, .MPEGPS, .FLV, 3GPP or WebM. The video formats I normally create my videos in are .mov and mp4 .
Step #1 – Create a Google Account
Before you can create a YouTube account, you will need to create a Google account. If you already have a Google account, you can skip this this step.
Here’s how to create a Google Account:
- Open up your web browser (IE, Firefox or Chrome, whatever you use)
- Go to www.Google.com
- Click on the “Sign In” button on the top right
- Click on the “Sign Up” button also on the top right
- Enter all the necessary info (name, gender, create a password, etc.) and then…
- Click the “Next Step” button on the bottom right
- After you have done this, you will be prompted to verify your account via email or phone
Verifying your Google Account
You will get an email that looks like this if you chose to verify vial email. Click the link to verify. Next You will receive a screen that looks like this (below). Click the “Next” button.
If chose to skip the verification process, you may still get a screen that ask you to verify via cell phone, via SMS/text message. When you receive that message take the code that is supplied and enter it into the box provided. Note: it could take up to 15 minutes to receive that text message.
Step #2 – Create a YouTube Account and Channel
Next we create the YouTube Account, here’s how to create a YouTube Account:
- Enter your email address
- Enter your password
- Click the “Sign In” button
- From “Your Profile” screen, go ahead and click the “Next Step” button. We will skip the “Add Photo” step, for now
- Click the “Get Started” button
- This brings you to the Google main page. From here, select YouTube at the top menu
- YouTube main menu – From the top menu, click the triangle. This will give you an option of links to choose from.
- From the YouTube links section, click the “My Channel” link
- This will start the YouTube account and YouTube Channel creation process
- DON’T CLICK THE OK BUTTON YET… Instead select if you want to change the name to your business name or a user name, click the link that says “To use a business or other name, click here”
- Here you can change to your business name, brand or a user name. When complete, click the “OK, I’m ready to continue” button.
Note: The first time will show if the username is available, the second time to move to the next screen. If the name you choose is not available, you will need to select one that is available.
CONGRATULATIONS! You have just created your YouTube account and YouTube Channel.
To learn how to upload and existing video and add (embed) it into your website or blog, watch this video.
How to Upload a Video to YouTube
To learn how to upload your first video to YouTube, watch the my video to see how easy it is.
Was this Video helpful?
If this video was helpful, then consider doing the following things:
PLEASE share this video with at least one other person you know… Thanks!